WHO OR WHAT IS R.O.C.K.?
R.O.C.K. (Raising Our Celiac Kids) is a FREE group for parents, families, and friends of kids on
the gluten-free diet because of Celiac Disease, Gluten intolerance, Autism, ADD/ADHD, Allergies, or Personal Preference. It was founded in 1991 by Danna Korn whose son, Tyler, was diagnosed with celiac disease. It
has grown to international proportions, helping families all over the world deal with the unique challenges of raising a child on a gluten-free diet.
We concentrate on dealing with the unique challenges that families or wheat-free/gluten-free kids face, including:
* Finding "fun" gluten-free treats for kids
* Menu ideas for school lunches, quick dinners, and sports snacks
* Helping the kids to take responsibility for reading labels, cooking and planning/preparing food
* How to prepare for unexpected birthday parties and food-oriented activities at school, church, and elsewhere
* Halloween, Easter, and other special days--how do we include or kids safely
* Educating day-care providers and teachers--without burdening them
* Dealing with grandparents, babysitters, and "helpful" friends who offer gluten-containing foods to our kids
* Ensuring our kids won't cheat, and what to do WHEN they do
* Sending kids away to camp, friends' houses, and other times when we're not around to help
* The psychological impact of growing up with celiac disease (peer pressure, teenage years, and more)
R.O.C.K. has free support groups in dozens of cities throughout the country and Canada. Parents exchange
information and ideas, while kids enjoy gluten-free goodies and play with other gluten-free kids.
R.O.C.K. (Raising Our Celiac Kids) Cleveland, TN, SE TN and NW GA area.
The Cleveland, TN group will also be involved in all the above PLUS dealing with Autism, ADD/ADHD, and Learning Disability Strategies. We will also be educating each other on IEP and 504 Plans.
Robert and Laverne Lee
Updated Candy List. (June 2015)